MEDIATING SENSES + SELVES GROUP: Aryana, Elif, Noga, Khaled, Matthew, Sandra, Lyndsey, Steve
We’ve got a big group tonight. Please, if you can, plan to stick around a bit longer than normal!
- ON MEDIATION: Powell, Michael. (2016). ‘Media, Mediation and the Curatorial Value of Professional Anthropologists’ in 2016 Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference Proceedings.
- ON FASHION: Volonté, Paolo, Mora, Emanuela, and Agnes Rocamora. 2016. “Feeding the Imaginary,” International Journal of Fashion Studies 3, no. 2 177-184.
- ON IMAGES: Schroeder, R. (2018). Social theory after the internet. UCL Press. Chapter 1, pp. 1-27
- ON SENSES: Howes, David. (2019). “Multisensory Anthropology”, Annual Review of Anthropology, 48.
- Post a slide to our response deck?
SUPPLEMENTAL READINGS (Pick one that appeals to you!):
- Mingus, Charles. “What is a Jazz Composer?”
- Enguix, Begonya and Gómez-Narváez, Erick. (2017). Masculine Bodies, Selfies, and the (Re)configurations of Intimacy. Men and Masculinities, 21(1).
- Kirk, D.S., A. Sellen & X. Cao. (2010). Home Video Communication: Mediating ‘Closeness’. In Proceedings of the 2010 ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, ACM, 135–44.
- PODCAST: “Worst Smell in the World”, 99% Invisible (CW: contains graphic descriptions of war)
- PODCAST: Tiffany, Kaitlyn (2018). Do you take selfies in public?, Mar 20, The Verge.
- PODCAST: Bill Thorne and Artemis Berry, hosts. “The store of the future with WD Partners’ Lee Peterson.” NRF (podcast). September 9, 2019.
- Boyer, Dominic. (2012). “From Media Anthropology to the Anthropology of Mediation”, The Sage Handbook of Social Anthropology.
- Tilley, Chris. (2006). ‘Objectification’, in Tilley, Keane, Kuchler, Rowlands and Spyer (eds.) Handbook of Material Culture.
- Kerruish, Erika. (2019). “Arranging sensations: smell and taste in augmented and virtual reality”, The Senses and Society, 14(1).
- Flacandji, Michaël, and Nina Krey. (2018). “Remembering shopping experiences: The Shopping Experience Memory Scale,” Journal of Business Research.
- WEBSITE: http://selfiecity.net/
- Haraway, Donna. (1984). Teddy Bear Patriarchy: Taxidermy in the Garden of Eden, New York 1908-1936. Social Text, 11.
- Clifford, James (1997). ‘Museums as Contact Zones’, in Routes: Travel and Translation in the Late Twentieth Century.
- Stallybrass, Peter. (1998). ‘Marx’s Coat’, in Spyer (ed.) Border Fetishisms: Material Objects in Unstable Spaces.
- Boone, John ‘The Life and Death of Qandeel Baloch’ The Guardian, 2017